The Western Hemisphere offers opportunities and risks, with large and high-growth markets but also markets that can be volatile and often have still-maturing institutional structures. Success requires a sound understanding of markets, a well-devised strategy, good relationships with decision makers, and trustworthy local partners.
Building on decades of experience working with officials in Latin America, the Caribbean and Canada, The Cohen Group (TCG) provides a range of services to better enable our clients to succeed, including:
- Understanding and intervening to affect policy, political, and regulatory issues at national and subnational levels;
- Building and helping to execute strategies to penetrate markets and accelerate client growth;
- Identifying, vetting, and establishing relationships for our clients with potential private sector partners;
- Building relationships with government decision makers and others with influence on business;
- Assisting to identify and consummate acquisitions, joint ventures, greenfield, and other investments;
- Providing superior insight on geopolitical and other business-impacting events and trends;
- Helping to shape the bilateral government agenda for policies affecting business;
- Maintaining business intelligence, including monitoring media outlets, and assisting with public relations.
We routinely work with senior business executives from the region and senior government officials, including heads of state/government, cabinet and subcabinet members, senior civil servants, and parliamentarians. We also work with the media, trade associations, and other groups with influence. We have assisted clients in such sectors as telecom, internet, financial services, petrochemicals, extractive and basic industries, aviation, defense, maritime, homeland security, power, water, transportation and logistics, agriculture, and professional services.
Examples of TCG service in the region to our clients include:
Policy and Regulatory
- Advised a US IT firm to successfully resolve a multi-billion dollar business dispute in Mexico.
- Organized an international, multi-sector industry coalition to address proposed Brazilian legislation that would have imposed stringent controls on the internet and data-centric industries (data localization, etc.).
- Advised a Brazilian investment firm on market developments and opportunities.
- Assisted the owner of an Andean industrial complex to address political and regulatory issues.
- Developed and successfully implementing a strategy to recover physical assets and advised investors on recovery of financial assets from Central America to Southern Cone.
- Advised a US financial institution on Argentine political, legislative and regulatory matters.
- Advised a US hedge fund on regulatory issues affecting the forestry industry in the Southern Cone.
- Advised a professional security firm on a hostage situation in Latin America, ending in successful recovery.
- Assisted a Saudi-Chinese chemical venture to secure two multi-billion dollar projects in the Caribbean.
- Identified a major Chilean opportunity for a solar energy firm and assisted in the firm's pursuit strategy.
- Assisted a European transportation and logistics firm to grow its presence in the region.
- Assisted in the sale of telecom/IT services and equipment to governments from Colombia to Chile.
- Assisted a Brazilian investor to secure timely regulatory approval for a $28 billion acquisition.
- Advised an Asian firm on a potential acquisition of a major telecom carrier in Latin America.
- Due diligence in multiple corporate transactions in which Brazilian government policies were key factors.